OK, time for another select list of sinful synonyms. This time, featuring an activity dear to the heart of anyone who has had a prostatectomy. To make it more interesting, you can guess what the activity is. A couple of clues to keep you going:
- Urologists primly refer to it as “voiding” (as you will see, not for any want of alternatives); and
- It has been alluded to in several blog posts, especially those featuring incontinence pads.
OK, enough preamble! Most of these are rhyming slang. Here they are:
- Arthur Bliss (one for the musical cognoscenti);
- bangers and mash;
- bubble and squeak;
- Christopher Lee;
- cousin Sis;
- dingo’s breakfast, AKA swaggie’s breakfast (in Partridge’s succinct gloss, “an act of urination and a good look around”);
- fiddlers three;
- goodnight kiss;
- lemon tea;
- Lilian Gish;
- Mark Ramprakash (one for the cricket fans);
- mimi (yes, lower case “m”: according to Partridge, “from the Maori”);
- peter heater (act of urination in a wetsuit).
Honourable mention must also be made for
- knock the dew off the lily; and
- couldn’t organise a urine sample in a golden shower (according to Partridge, “used of an inefficient person or organisation”).
Just to prove that too much is never enough, I love the joke from Garrison Keilor about the young lady from the midwest being shown around a historic home. She enquired about the feature on top of the antique four-poster bed. Guide: “That, madam, is a canopy”. Young lady: “Oh, at home we keep those underneath the bed”.